Thursday 26 November 2009

It's game over for game!

So I had this reduced pheasant in the freezer, which I'd defrosted the night before so had to cook. Unfortunately I really wasn't in the mood and to be honest would have preferred a pizza! But I got on with it anyway.

What did I make?

Pheasant breast, parsnip and apple mash, rosemary carrots with a whitewine stock sauce

Firstly, the pheasant smelt a bit funny, I'm not sure if it was getting a bit old or that's just the gamey smell of pheasant but I wasn't convinced.

So anyway, Carrots were foil bagged with rosemary, salt and pepper and half a glass of white wine and stuck in the oven for about 40 minutes - they were nice but then again there's not much you can screw up!

Parsnip and potatoes were peeled and chopped to a similar size and boiled for 20mins. About 5 mins before the end they were added to the parsnip and potatoes. Once soft they were drained and mashed with creme fraiche - again this was lovely!

The pheasant was fried in olive oil on the skin side for about a minute to get some colour, then turned. To this I added just under a glass of white wine and turned up the heat to burn off the alcohol. Word of warning, hot olive oil, pheasant and wine tends to explode. My head got burnt and the floor was covered in fat but cest la vie! After turning down the gas, I added about 100 ml of chicken stock and cooked for about 5 mins.

After 5 mins I took out the pheasant and kept warm - ok so I just left it in a bowl but I did have a hot head at this point - literally!

Now for the sauce, I reduced by half and added butter mashed with flour in small amounts and whisked till thickened - there's a term for this but I can't remember the word and I'm typing this on my blackberry so just look at the picture to see what I mean!

So onto the plate it all went but at this point I'd lost all interest so plate presentation went out the window along with portion size.

The taste? All lovely, but pheasant isn't for me - at least not if I'm cooking it. Still.....the wine was nice!

Enjoy some pictures, goodnight (hmmm my phone doesn't like the pictures I'll add them later):

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment